The history of Barcelona is inextricably linked with the mountain: even in antiquity, Iberians settled there, as evidenced by the finds stored in the Museum of the history of the city. At the top there was a watchtower to protect the city, and in 1640 a fortress was erected for the same purpose. In the 20thcentury, the mountain was gradually being arranged well, during this period parks were laid and tourist sites were built. In 1926, Montjuic became the venue for the World Exhibition, and in 1992, for the Olympic Games. There are several legends and secrets related to the mountain: it is believed that numerous tunnels are located at the base, and there is a special energy field in the vicinity. The mountain has always attracted hermits, and in the Middle Ages numerous chapels were erected there.
Montjuic Hill has long served as a stone quarry, from which stone the main buildings of Barcelona, for example, the Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family, were built. The stone was mined up to the 80s of the 20thcentury, which greatly changed the appearance of the mountain and led to the formation of beaches and sands to the east of the mountain.